Search the collections
Negative - Standard-Vacuum Refining Company Pty Ltd, Horton Spheres, Essendon, 1955 Reg. No: MM 51251
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing officials from the aviation industry and Standard-Vacuum Refining Company Pty Ltd, in front of a row of three Horton Spheres, Essendon, 8 December 1955. The spherical vessels store light hydrocarbon gases [LPG] which are used in the production of aviation fuel.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellullose acetate negative.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- A group of men standing outside in front of a row of three spherical tanks, which have steps leading to the top of them. Pipes lie in the foreground.
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 103 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||petrochemical storage, petrochemicals, transport workers, uniforms|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Transport Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Tertiary Classification:||ground support|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Essendon, Victoria, Australia, 08 Dec 1955|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 08 Dec 1955|