Search the collections
Negative - Space Suit in Communications Display at the Royal Melbourne Show, 1969 Reg. No: MM 055156
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a 'Space Exploration' display at the Royal Melbourne Show on 22 September 1969. A male government worker is explaining a space suit, worn by a mannequin, to a crowd.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellulose acetate negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- "Royal Show" a male government worker explaining a space suit, worn by a mannequin, to a crowd looking at a communications display at the Royal Melbourne Show.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||agricultural shows, display boards, exhibitions, government workers, mannequins, maps, rockets, royal melbourne show, signage, protective clothing safety wear, space technology, spacesuits|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural Shows|
|Original Caption:||ROYAL SHOW|
|Format:||Negative: Colour; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 22 Sep 1969|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 22 Sep 1969|
This item is part of the following themes: