Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Photographer Alphington, Australia
Negative - Male Manufacturing Employees Producing Engine Parts on Industrial Lathes, 1950s Reg. No: MM 56809
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a group of male manufacturing workers producing engine parts on industrial lathes in a large workshop at a motor vehicle factory in the 1950s.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellullose acetate negative.
- Description Of Content:
- View of male manufacturing workers working on industrial lathes in a large workshop. Adjacent to each lathe is a workbench and a tool stand. At left of the men, separated by a wire cage, are cars that have been manufactured at the factory. Fluorescent lighting hangs over each lathe, and over the work space.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 103 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||factories, lamps, lathes, lighting, manufacturing workers, motor cars, tools, automotive components, protective clothing safety wear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Motor Vehicles|
|Tertiary Classification:||manufacturing processes|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|