Search the collections
Negative - Two Dancers at the Chelsea Theatre Premiere, Flinders Street, Melbourne, 1960 Reg. No: MM 54831
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a man and a woman in fancy dress costume dancing at the premiere of the Chelsea Theatre, Flinders Street, Melbourne, 1960.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellulose acetate negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- A male and a female performer, in edwardian style costume, dancing to music played by a live band at a film premier at the Chelsea Theatre, Flinders Street, Melbourne, 1960.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||beverages, cinemas, dancers, drinks, food, guitars, motion picture films, musical instruments, musicians, stringed instruments, swimwear, theatrical costumes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Leisure Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional performances|
|Original Caption:||Chelsea Theatre Premier|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1960|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1960|