Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Photographer Alphington, Australia
Negative - Female & Male Textile Employees Cutting Out Garment Patterns, 1950s Reg. No: MM 56806
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a group of male and female textile workers cutting out and packing parts of garments ready for construction in a textiles factory in the 1950s.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellullose acetate negative.
- Description Of Content:
- View of textile workers standing at long work benches in a textiles factory. Garment segments tied into bundles and stacked, and cutting equipment sit on top of the benches. Industrial patterns hang on the wall at left. At right are banks of windows, while light bulbs are attached to the overhead gantry.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 103 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||clothing, factories, industrial equipment, lighting, manufacturing workers, textile workers, textiles, work benches|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing & Fashion|
|Tertiary Classification:||manufacturing processes|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|