Search the collections
Negative - Aerial View, Facing South West Towards Port Phillip Bay from East Melbourne, Victoria, 1967 Reg. No: MM 054016
- Colour 5" x 4" negative showing an aerial view of Melbourne, taken 29 August 1967. The view is facing south west towards Port Phillip Bay from Fitzroy and East Melbourne.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Colour 5" x 4" cellulose acetate negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- Aerial view of Melbourne, looking south west from Fitzroy and East Melbourne towards Port Phillip Bay. In the foreground are St. Patrick's Cathedral, Parliament House, ICI Building and St. Vincent's Hospital. In the background are the Southern Cross Hotel, the Yarra River, Flinders Street rail yards and Port Phillip bay.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||aerial photographs, bridges, churches, factories, hotels, parliament houses, railway lines, railway stations, wharves, albert park|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Transport Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Metropolitan - Melbourne|
|Tertiary Classification:||aerial views|
|Original Caption:||Aerial view of Melbourne|
|Format:||Negative: Colour; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 29 Aug 1967|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 29 Aug 1967|