Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Photographer Alphington, Australia
Negative - Male Manufacturing Employees Wiring Up Television Picture Tubes, 1974 Reg. No: MM 56252
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a small group of male manufacturing workers wiring up television picture tubes at an electrical appliance factory in 1974.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellullose acetate negative.
- Description Of Content:
- Manufacturing workers at an electrical appliance factory. In the foreground seven television picture tubes sit in a large box. Behind this, two men are wiring up television picture tubes on a work bench. Shelving is at left and behind them. At the rear of the work space other men are also at work.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 103 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||electrical equipment, factories, manufacturing workers, television receivers, work benches|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Tertiary Classification:||manufacturing processes|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Victoria, Australia, 1974|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1974|