Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Photographer Alphington, Australia
Negative - Child's Rear-facing Safety Seat for Motor Cars, 1970 Reg. No: MM 055288
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a child sitting in a rear-facing safety seat installed in a motor car in 1970. A man wearing sunglasses is at the wheel of the car.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" photographic negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- Publicity photograph showing a child's rear-facing safety seat for motor cars.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||chairs, infant welfare, motor cars, motor vehicle interiors, pictures, road safety, safety equipment, seat belts, spectacles|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Transport Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Motor Vehicles|
|Tertiary Classification:||motor cars - interiors|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Victoria, Australia, 1970|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1970|