Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Photographer Alphington, Australia
Negative - Rock Band Launching Opening of Amoco Service Station, 1970 Reg. No: MM 055290
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a small crowd of teenagers watching a rock band perform on a radio station '3AK' stage, at the opening of an `Amoco' service station in 1970. A boy is standing with a bicycle.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" photographic negative
- Description Of Content:
- Small crowd of teenagers watching a rock band perform on a radio station '3AK' stage, at the opening of an `Amoco' service station. A boy is standing with a bicycle.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||bicycles, bunting, drums, guitars, loudspeakers, microphones, musical instruments, musicians, radio stations, service stations, stringed instruments|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Radio Programming & Production|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional performances|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Victoria, Australia, 1970|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 1970|