Search the collections
Negative - St. Kilda Road and The Domain, Melbourne, 1967 Reg. No: MM 054017
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing an aerial view of the Domain, looking south east from St Kilda Road, Melbourne, 29 August 1967.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Colour 5" x 4" cellulose acetate negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- Aerial view of the Domain, looking south east from St Kilda Road, Melbourne, showing the National Gallery of Victoria, the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Government House, the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Olympic Park complex.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||100 mm (Height), 103 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||aerial photographs, art galleries, bridges, cricket grounds, government houses, public gardens, railway stations, rivers, sports ovals, sports stadiums|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Transport Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Metropolitan - Melbourne|
|Tertiary Classification:||aerial cityscapes|
|Original Caption:||Photo over City [Melbourne]|
|Format:||Negative: Colour; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 29 Aug 1967|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 29 Aug 1967|