Search the collections
Similar items over time
Negative - Family Arriving in Melbourne on Achille Lauro Ship, Station Pier, 1968 Reg. No: MM 054750
- Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a man, a woman and a young boy standing on Station Pier, Port Melbourne, having arrived on the ocean liner `Achille Lauro'. They are carrying several suitcases and a toy helicopter set. Photograph taken 1 May 1968.
This image is part of the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria comprising approximately 85,000 negatives taken by the Melbourne based Laurie Richards Studio between the 1950s -1970s. These negatives are all mostly large format [5"x 4"/ 12.5 x 10 cm], black and white images, though a significant number are in colour. The many photographic jobs that were undertaken in the course of thirty years are itemised in a set of log books, copies of which are also held by Museum Victoria.
Laurie Richards was a professional photographer who began his career as a photo-journalist, working for the Advertiser newspaper in Adelaide, and the Argus and the Herald newspapers in Melbourne. In 1953, he opened his own business and set up a photographic studio at his home at 4 Tower Avenue, Alphington, an inner suburb of Melbourne. At its peak, in the late 1960s, the Laurie Richards Studio was one of Melbourne's pre-eminent commercial photographic studios, employing twelve photographers. The Laurie Richards Studio worked mainly in advertising and public relations, and had a broad clientele which included commercial companies, government institutions and the entertainment industry.
- Black and white 5" x 4" cellulose acetate negative
- Statement Of Significance:
- Because of the breadth of both the subject matter photographed and the diverse businesses which commissioned the work, and the excellent documentation that accompanies the collection, the Laurie Richards Collection at Museum Victoria is an invaluable record of Melbourne?s commercial and industrial past and as such gives an insight into the social history of that period.
- Description Of Content:
- A man, woman and a young boy standing on Station Pier, Port Melbourne, having arrived on the ocean liner `Achille Lauro'. They are carrying several suitcases and a toy helicopter set.
- Laurie Richards Collection, Museum Victoria
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||helicopters, luggage, migrants, nationalities, ships, signage, toys, travel tourism, wharves, suitcase, motor trucks|
|Themes this item is part of:||Laurie Richards Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection, Laurie Richards Studio, Photographer, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Arrival|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||People Arriving|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 5 in. x 4 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 01 May 1968|
|Photographer:||Laurie Richards Studio, Alphington, Victoria, Australia, 01 May 1968|
This item is part of the following themes: