Search the collections
Medal - County of Bendigo Agricultural & Horticultural Society, Silver Prize, Victoria, Australia, 1878 Reg. No: NU 20280
- Australia Victoria Bendigo
Medal - County of Bendigo Agricultural and Horticultural Society Silver Prize 1879 (AD)
Awarded to: Trouette and Blampied
County of Bendigo Agricultural and Horticultural Society Silver Prize medal, awarded to Trouette and Blampied in 1878 for 'Excellence in Wine'. The Society was established in 1859. It aimed to promote farming practices and celebrate rural achievements. It has conducted an Annual Show every year since that time, with the exception of the war years.
French immigrants Jean-Pierre Trouette, his wife Anne Marie Blampied and her brother Emile settled in the Grampians in 1858. Jean-Pierre and his brother-in-law Emile were the first to plant grape vines at Great Western, in 1863. They were eventually awarded numerous medals for their wines. Jean-Pierre was dedicated to the establishment of the local wine industry, and also served as a councillor in Stawell. He died in 1885.
- A silver prize medal (38 mm diameter) won by Trouette and Blampied for an excellence in wine at the 1879 Bendigo Agricultural and Horticultural Society show. It features the Arms of Bendigo with horse and bull supporters and the motto PROGRESS and details of the award.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||38.5 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||38.88 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||wine, immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Bendigo Agricultural & Horticultural Society, Ernst August Altmann, Jeweller & Engraver (circa 1850-1920), Melbourne Mint, Medal Makers, Victoria, Australia, Deputy Masters of the Melbourne Branch of the Royal Mint, Closure of Melbourne Mint, Melbourne Mint during World War II, Establishment of Melbourne Mint, 1872, Melbourne Mint, Migration Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||agricultural prizes|
|Series:||Australian Agricultural Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Engraved, Mess. Trouette & Blampied / FOR/ Excellence in Wine/ Oct 25th. / 1878; around, COUNTY OF BENDIGO AGRICULTURAL AND HORTICULTUAL|
|Reverse Description:||Arms of Bendigo; on ribbon, PROGRESS Below in small letters, ERNST A. ALTMANN MELBOURNE|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: COUNTY OF BENDIGO AGRICULTURAL AND HORTICULTUAL SOCIETY AWARDED TO
(engraved) Mess Trouette & Blampied / FOR/ Excellence in Wine / Oct 25th. / 1878
Reverse: PROGRESS in small letters, ERNST A. ALTMANN MELBOURNE
|Issued By:||Bendigo Agricultural & Horticultural Society, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 1878|
|Artist:||Ernst Altmann, Victoria, Australia|
|Awarded To:||Trouette and Blampied, Great Western, Victoria, Australia, 1878|
Richard Cornish, 'Throw a langoustine on the barbie', in The Age, July 8, 2008, http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/throw-a-langoustine-on-the-barbie-20100217-o9ze.html, accessed 27/7/2010.
Grampians Information Page http://www.warrnamboolcam.com/graminfo.htm, accesed 27/7/2010.
Arthur Kuehne, Grapes and Gold, reproduced at http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/show_history/105090, accessed 27./7/2010.
This item is part of the following themes:
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Bendigo Agricultural & Horticultural Society
- Ernst August Altmann, Jeweller & Engraver (circa 1850-1920)
- Melbourne Mint, Medal Makers, Victoria, Australia
- Deputy Masters of the Melbourne Branch of the Royal Mint
- Closure of Melbourne Mint
- Melbourne Mint during World War II
- Establishment of Melbourne Mint, 1872
- Melbourne Mint
- Migration Collection