Search the collections
Medal - Victorian Intercolonial & Philadelphia Centennial Exhibitions, Prize, Victoria, Australia, 1875-1876 Reg. No: NU 20277
- Australia Victoria Melbourne
Mint: Stokes & Martin
Awarded to: Trouette and Blampied
Medal minted for the Victorian Intercolonial Exhibition, 1875 to select for the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia, 1876. It was awarded to wine-makers Trouette and Blampied. The Exhibition was opened in Melbourne in September 1875 and closed in November of the same year. Winning exhibits were sent to Philadelphia for display in its Centennial Exhibition, which opened on 10 May 1876. This medal was designed by Oswald Rose Campbell, engraved by Julius Hogarth and struck by Stokes and Martin.
French immigrants Jean-Pierre Trouette, his wife Anne Marie Blampied and her brother Emile settled in the Grampians in 1858. Jean-Pierre and his brother-in-law Emile were the first to plant grape vines at Great Western, in 1863. They were eventually awarded numerous medals for their wines. Jean-Pierre was dedicated to the establishment of the local wine industry, and also served as a councillor in Stawell. He died in 1885.
- A bronze prize medal (69 mm diameter) awarded in Melbourne to the winemakers Trouette and Blampied for the Melbourne Philadelphia Exhibition. It features James Cook and Christopher Columbus resting arms on a globe showing the Pacific Ocean (Cook on the side showing Australia and Columbus on the American side) and each carrying a navigational tool of their era.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||69 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||weight > 100 g|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions, gold, wine, immigration, agriculture, agricultural shows, viticulture winemaking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Julius Hogarth, Jeweller & Medal Maker (1820-1879), Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Oswald Rose Campbell, Artist (1820-1887), Hogarth, Erichsen & Co., Jewellers, Sydney, New South Wales, Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales, Captain James Cook, Navigator & Explorer (1728-1779), Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection|
|Series:||Australian Exhibition Medals|
|Obverse Description:||At centre a globe showing the Pacific ocean; left James Cook, right Christopher Colombus, below, MELBOURNE 1875; in ex.; PHILADELPHIA 1876|
|Reverse Description:||At centre within wreats, INGENS / PATEAT TELLVS / ***** / NEC SIT TERRIS / VLTIMA / THVLE|
|Edge Description:||TROUETTE & BLAMPIED.|
|Inscriptions:||Edge Impressed: TROUETTE & BLAMPIED.
Obverse: MELBOURNE 1875 PHILADELPHIA 1876
and in tiny letters, STOKES & MARTIN MELBOURNE O.R. CAMPBELL. DES. J. HOGARTH. FEC.
rEVERSE: INGENS / PATEAT TELLVS / NEC SIT TERRIS / VLTIMA / THVLE
|Issued By:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Mint:||Stokes & Martin (Mint)|
|Artist:||Julius Hogarth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1875|
|Artist:||Mr. Oswald Campbell, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1875|
|Awarded To:||Trouette and Blampied, Great Western, Victoria, Australia, 1875|
|Person Depicted:||Captain James Cook, Victoria, Australia, 1875|
|Person Depicted:||Christopher Columbus|
Not in Carlisle (2008)
Richard Cornish, 'Throw a langoustine on the barbie', in The Age, July 8, 2008, http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/throw-a-langoustine-on-the-barbie-20100217-o9ze.html, accessed 27/7/2010.
Grampians Information Page http://www.warrnamboolcam.com/graminfo.htm, accesed 27/7/2010.
Arthur Kuehne, Grapes and Gold, reproduced at http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/places/show_history/105090, accessed 27./7/2010.
This item is part of the following themes:
- Julius Hogarth, Jeweller & Medal Maker (1820-1879)
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Oswald Rose Campbell, Artist (1820-1887)
- Hogarth, Erichsen & Co., Jewellers, Sydney, New South Wales
- Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales
- Captain James Cook, Navigator & Explorer (1728-1779)
- Migration Collection
- Numismatics & Philately Collection