Search the collections
Similar items over time
Lantern Slide - Tangyes Ltd, Richard Tangye with SS Great Eastern, 1858 Reg. No: MM 44057
- One of 239 glass lantern slides depicting products manufactured by Tangyes Limited engineers of Birmingham, England. The images include various products such as engines, centrifugal pumps, hydraulic pumps, gas producers, materials testing machines, presses, machine tools, hydraulic jacks etc. Tangyes was a company which operated from 1857 to 1957. They produced a wide variety of engineering products exported worldwide including Australia and other British colonies.
It is thought that this collection of magic lantern slides was used by a local agent for sales purposes. These images were originally used to illustrate Tangyes Ltd product catalogues from the period 1910 - circa 1920s.
- Standard format (3¼ x 3¼ inch square) lantern slide, comprising black & white photographic image printed on glass with black paper rectangular round cornered mask against image under protective glass cover plate; sealed with black paper binding tape around edge.
- Description Of Content:
- Richard Tangye (left) beside the hull of the SS Great Eastern at Millwall, London. Tangye supplied the hydraulic jacks and rams used to launch the ship after earlier attempts failed. Tangye was later quoted as saying that "we launched the Great Eastern and the Great Eastern launched us" as the publicity greatly assisted his fledgling firm.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Swinburne University of Technology Engineering Faculty, 1992
|Tagged with:||mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, hydraulic rams, lantern slides|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Tangyes Lantern Slide Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Steam Power|
|Tertiary Classification:||paddlesteamers - passenger|
|Inscriptions:||Text printed in black ink on white adhesive paper label over black mask: "TANGYES, BIRMINGHAM"|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Millwall, England, Great Britain, 1858|