Search the collections
Pin - Pink Ribbon, Witchery, circa 2001 Reg. No: HT 5107
- Cloth pink ribbon pin which was sold for $2 at Witchery stores, circa 2001. The ribbons were sold to raise awareness of breast cancer and funds for breast cancer research at the Garvan Research Institute.
- Small pale pink ribbon with brass safety pin. The ribbon is attached to a piece of square cardboard which is adorned with informational text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item represents the different methods and items used to raise awareness of and funds for breast cancer which affects most Australians either directly, through a positive diagnosis, or indirectly, having a family member, friend or colleague diagnosed with the disease.
Breast Cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women, in Australia there are approximately 11,700 new cases of breast cancer and 2,600 deaths each year. The risk of breast cancer increases with age, and one in every nine Australian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer by the age of 85.
Early detection is the best method of survival with the 5-year survival rate for women diagnosed with breast cancer being 88.3% in 2006. Since the mid 1990s there has been an emphasis on raising awareness of breast cancer, the importance of early detection and risk factors which saw a 27% decrease in the number of women who lost their lives to breast cancer between 1994 and 1996.
The use of pink as a part of breast cancer awareness and fundraising campaigns is common, from the wearing of pink and selling of pink products, such as pink ribbons or pink bottled water, to larger events such as the field of women live, which saw 11,500 women wearing pink ponchos form the shape of a woman on the MCG. The use of funds raised via these initiatives goes towards prevention programs, support services and research.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Breast Cancer Research
|Dimensions:||0.6 cm (Height), 10.0 cm (Width), 10.0 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||fundraising, badges, cancer awareness, cancer research|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medical Ephemera Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Public Health|
|Tertiary Classification:||health campaigns|
|Inscriptions:||'SUPPORT BREAST CANCER RESEARCH/ WEAR A PINK RIBBON FOR $2 AND YOU WILL BE RAISING FUNDS AND AWARENESS OF BREAST CANCER/ WITCHERY/ THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT/ ART AND PRINTINNG KINDLY DONATED BY SHOW-ADS & PINNACLE PRINTING CO.'
'IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND A FURTHER DONATION OR REQUIRE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BREAST CANCER PLEASE CONTACT: THE GARVAN RESEARCH...'
|Distributor:||Witchery Fashions Pty Ltd, Australia, circa 2001|