Search the collections
Similar items over time
Lapel Pin - Pink Ribbon, Anti-Cancer Council, circa 2004 Reg. No: HT 5189
- Enamelled, pink ribbon lapel pin issued by the Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria circa 2004. These pins were sold to help raise funds for the Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria's 'Think Pink for Breast Cancer' campaign.
- Brass and pink enamel lapel pin. Formed in the shape of a ribbon, looped once. Has a removable clasp at the back of the pin. Attached to a card which is purple with white and pink writing - explaining the purpose of the campaign.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item represents the different methods and items used to raise awareness of and funds for breast cancer which affects most Australians either directly, through a positive diagnosis, or indirectly, having a family member, friend or colleague diagnosed with the disease.
Breast Cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women, in Australia there are approximately 11,700 new cases of breast cancer and 2,600 deaths each year. The risk of breast cancer increases with age, and one in every nine Australian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer by the age of 85.
Early detection is the best method of survival with the 5-year survival rate for women diagnosed with breast cancer being 88.3% in 2006. Since the mid 1990s there has been an emphasis on raising awareness of breast cancer, the importance of early detection and risk factors which saw a 27% decrease in the number of women who lost their lives to breast cancer between 1994 and 1996.
The use of pink as a part of breast cancer awareness and fundraising campaigns is common, from the wearing of pink and selling of pink products, such as pink ribbons or pink bottled water, to larger events such as the field of women live, which saw 11,500 women wearing pink ponchos form the shape of a woman on the MCG. The use of funds raised via these initiatives goes towards prevention programs, support services and research.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria
|Dimensions:||8.0 cm (Height), 1.2 cm (Width), 6.0 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||fundraising, badges, cancer awareness, cancer research|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medical Ephemera Collection, Medicine in Society Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Public Health|
|Tertiary Classification:||health campaigns|
think pink for breast cancer / $4 / Funds from the sale of this pink ribbon will go to the Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria in aid of breast cancer research, education and patient and family support. / Cancer Information and Support Service / 13 11 20* / BreastScreen Australia / 13 20 50* / *FOR THE COST OF A LOCAL CALL / Anti-Cancer Council / of Victoria / Made in China
|Issued By:||Anti-Cancer Council of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 2004|
|Place & Date Manufactured:||China, circa 2004|