Search the collections
Ashtray - S. Bernado, circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 5375
- Whit ceramic ashtray, manufactured for S. Bernado circa 1950's. It is part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1951-1960. As part of her role Margaret met migrant ships arriving at Station Pier in Melbourne and she often received gifts from ship staff.
Margaret first worked in the Department of Alien Assimilation which focused on migrants post arrival, before moving to the Assisted Division which handled the reception of assisted European migrants arriving in Melbourne. Her final position was working for the General Assisted Passage Scheme, assisting migrants from the US, Scandinavia and Switzerland who came individually on general ships as opposed to migrant ships. She recalls her time with the Department with great pleasure. She was a young single woman and had just finished an Arts degree at Melbourne University. When she applied to the Public Service, she was placed with the Department of Immigration, as she spoke German. She left when she married in 1961 as per the policy at that time.
- White ceramic ashtray that is triangular in shape with the oblique ends rather than points. There is a circular well in the centre for the ash deposit and three grooves for resting a cigarette/ cigar. It is inscribed on 3 sides in green lettering and has a black logo on each corner.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 2003
|Dimensions:||3.5 cm (Height), 13.5 cm (Width), 11.8 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, shipping, station pier, women s work, immigrant shipping, immigrant voyages, smoking accessories, advertising|
|Themes this item is part of:||Margaret Wood Immigration & Shipping Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Text, on sides: S.Bernardo/AQUA NATURALE.
Text, on base: VETRERIA LUSVARDI MADE IN ITALY.
|Manufactured For:||S. Bernado, Italy, circa 1950s|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Wood, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|