Search the collections
Similar items over time
Revolver - Colt 1851 Navy, 2nd Generation, 1976 Reg. No: HT 4530
- Colt 1851 Navy percussion revolver, second model, second generation, cal. .36 in., rifled octagonal barrel 190 mm (7 1/2 in) long with loading lever attached.
Serial number 18798,1976. Engraved by T. Hunt, and so stamped underneath the frame.
- Thin loading lever catch. Six chambered cylinder engraved with naval battle scene, square backed brass trigger guard, steel frame, brass back strap, 'Slim Jim' style wooden grips, loading lever rammer screw enters from R.H. side, brass pin style front sight. Barrel address is early New York address. Frame, barrel at breech end, triggerguard and backstrap richly engraved in tight foliate scrollwork, with American shield and leafed border engraved on upper backstrap, muzzle bordered with a decorative engraved band.
- Statement Of Significance:
- One of the most easily recognisiable Colt models of the mid nineteenth century alongside the popular, smaller 1849 Pocket Model, was the Colt 1851 Navy. While the original production run continued until 1873, such was the models eduring popularity that it was reproduced by Colt as a second generation model for seven years between 1971 and 1978. This model is a reissue of the highly sought after first generation square back models - first and second models - with this distinctive squared triggerguard rather than the rounded guard of the various third and fourth models and sub-models. The engraving is by T.Hunt, a so far unidentified engraver whose work also features on Italian produced copy of Colt 1873 Single Action Army revolver in the museum's collection.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Victoria Police, 2004
|Dimensions:||13.00 cm (Height), 4.00 cm (Width), 35.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 19.00 (7 1/2 in.)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY
Stamped on cylinder: COLT'S PATENT No 18798/ Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York
Stamped on L.H.side of frame: COLTS/ PATENT
Stamped under frame serial number: T. HUNT
Serial No. -
Cylinder: 18798; Loading lever: 18798; Trigger Guard: 18798; Frame: 18798; Barrel Lug: 18798; Butt:18798
|Model Name/Number:||1851 Navy 2nd Model|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Connecticut, United States of America, 1976|
|Engraver:||Mr T Hunt, 1976|