Refine your search

Filter results by item type

Sunshine Motor Works at Sunshine Harvester Works

"SCOTT ENGINE WORKS: 1913"

Image: "SCOTT ENGINE WORKS: 1913"

Source: Museum Victoria

Year established: 1910

In 1910, James L. Scott established the Scott Motor Pty Co in Sunshine to manufacture small, fuel-driven motors for farm machinery. Scott moved to Sunshine from Mannum, South Australia after designing an improved and efficient petrol engine. Based in Sunshine's Anderson Road, Scott's factory was a saw-tooth building of corrugated iron. By 1914 it was absorbed by the nearby Sunshine Harvester Works and renamed the Sunshine Motor Works Pty Ltd. It was also known as Scott Engine Works. It continued to manufacture engines but this time for the Sunshine Harvester Works' line of agricultural equipment. A few workers from Scott's company, such as Isaac 'Ike' Chadwick, stayed on with the Sunshine Harvester Works. Chadwick joined Scott's firm in 1912 and moved around various areas at Sunshine Harvester Works, including the Purchasing Department, Engine Works Store and the Duplicates Department. From the 1940s-1950s, the Sunshine Motor Works became the Sunshine Harvester Works' Machine Shop.

References
Ford, O 2001, Harvester Town: The Making of Sunshine, 1890-1925. Sunshine and District Historical Society Inc, Sunshine.
Sunshine Review 1950, 'Personnel Report', no. 8, pp.6.
'Sunshine Harvester Works Exhibit', 1912, The Register, 7 March, p.11.

(showing 1 - 2) 2 items

Yes No