Search the collections
Psychiatric Services Collection
Image: Electro-Convulsive Therapy Machine
Source: Museum Victoria
The Psychiatric Services Collection is made up of over 1600 objects and covers the period of 1870-1980. The objects collected from several Victorian psychiatric institutions tell a sad story of neglect and lack of political will. Much of the museum's collection was assembled during the 1950s by Dr Charles Brothers while he was working within the system to bring about reforms.
Victoria's first 'lunatic asylum' was a bluestone barracks in extensive grounds at Yarra Bend.
By the late 1860s, the colony's population of people with psychiatric disabilities, including confused and dementing elderly people, had increased enormously.
Between 1867 and 1872, the government opened three institutions, at Kew, Beechworth and Ararat, as shelters for 'lunatics'. The buildings were huge, with large dormitories and kitchens, and extensive gardens and farmlands. Capable patients could learn and work at a trade, and a strict routine was followed, with the aim of 'imposing order on chaotic minds'. Soon these institutions were themselves overcrowded, and attempts to separate patients by type of illness faltered.
The asylum population comprised people with intellectual disabilities, confused elderly, and those with psychiatric illnesses. Treatments included restriction, isolation and sometimes, sedation, and there was limited contact with families and friends. Some people were calmed by the regular routine and the break from outside responsibility and were able to be discharged, but many stayed in institutions until they died.
Dr Brothers' investigations uncovered the institutionalised poverty and lack of hope resulting from decades of government and community neglect. The texture of daily life in an impoverished and overcrowded institution is evoked by well-worn domestic objects, battered metal chamber pots and standardised clothing. Collection objects range from uniforms, restraining devices, medications, surgical instruments, kitchen utensils, gardening tools, artworks and building fittings.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 28) 28 items
Chart used in nursing education at Ararat and Lakeside Psychiatric Institutions. Illustrations show outer and inner ear structure.Images: 1
Wall chart depicting physiology of excretory system, circa 1940. Chart used in nursing education at Ararat and Lakeside Psychiatric Institutions, Victoria, Australia.Images: 1
Wall chart depicting physiology of human ear and brain, circa 1940. Used in nursing education at Ararat and Lakeside Psychiatric Institutions, Victoria, Australia.Images: 1
No Image Available
Pharmacist's prescription book for drugs dispensed to patients at the Royal Park Receiving House from October 22nd 1907 to June 1908. Separate pages kept for males and females. Entries ...From: Parkville, Australia Images: 0
No Image Available
Poster advertising Green Mountain Vegetable Ointment, circa 1848. Was held in a mental health hospital, Victoria, Australia. Reportedly used for the treatment of Ague in the Face, Swell ...Images: 0
Framed certificate from Victorian Herd Improvement Association awarded to Beechworth Mental Home, a mental health hospital in Beechworth, Victoria, Australia, circa 1969. Beechworth Men ...From: Beechworth, Australia Images: 1
'Go Bowling' diploma in painted wooden frame awarded to Les McGaw who completed a course as an instructor for tenpin bowling, circa 1971. Les McGaw may have been a patient or staff memb ...From: Beechworth, Australia Images: 1
Chart - Bath Regulations, Framed, circa 1920. Printed paper, headed 'Baths. / Regulations for the Guidance of the Attendants', that is contained (though not mounted) within a wooden fra ...Images: 1