Search the collections
Frank Hirst, Computer Scientist & CSIRAC Specialist (circa 1930s-?)
Image: Correspondence - CSIRAC
Source: Museum Victoria
'Dr Frank Hirst was Senior Lecturer then Officer in Charge of the Computation Laboratory, The University of Melbourne from 1955 to 1969. He played the leading role in the establishment of the Computation Laboratory and supervised the operation of the Laboratory and CSIRAC until its decommissioning in 1964. The Computation Laboratory was renamed the Computation Department and continued to provide academic programs and computer services. Dr Hirst was responsible for the acquisition by The University of Melbourne of its second computer, an IBM7044/1401, and for its management and operation and for the development of teaching and research activities in computer science. He continued as Reader in Charge of the Department of Information Science until 1972 when he was appointed to the Foundation Chair of Computing at The University of Adelaide, a position he held until his retirement.'
Copied from the University of Melbourne Database Provennance section (identifier CSRCP08).
(showing 1 - 1) 1 items
No Image Available
Name plate (plaque) prepared to be permanently attached to the machine by The University of Melbourne, Computation Laboratory upon its transfer from CSIRO and on display at the official ...Images: 0