Refine your search

Filter results by item type

H.J. Marsh & Brother, Blacksmiths, Hobart, Tasmania

H.J. Marsh & Brother Token Penny

Image: H.J. Marsh & Brother Token Penny

Source: Museum Victoria

Henry James Marsh's early background in Tasmania is rather obscure, but prior to 1850 he was employed by Messrs Dickenson Bros, Hobart Town.

On 26 April 1850 he opened on his own accord an ironmongery and paint shop at the corner of Murray and William Streets.  It is believed that he entered into a partnership with his brother Samuel Charles Marsh in 1853, but Samuel died the following year.

In 1867 the firm was known as H.J. Marsh and Co., and in 1912 the firm was absorbed by Harris and Marsh.  H.J. Marsh died on 28 April 1897.' (McNeice, p.85).

During the first three months of 1858 Marsh took out front page advertisments in The Hobart Mercury for his goods, including 'Arsenic Corrosive Sublimate', cutlery, and a range of blacksmithing and metalworking materials.

Henry James Marsh married Mary Ann Vautin in 1852; they had a son in 1853 but Mary died two weeks later. Henry married Georgina Barrett in 1854, and they had 9 children.

References:
McNeice, R., Coins and Tokens of Tasmania, 1803-1910, p. 85
Archives Office of Tasmania, Index to Pioneer's Database, http://resources.archives.tas.gov.au/Pioneers/taslink3.asp?ID=373226
Archives Office of Tasmania, Index to Pioneer's Database, http://resources.archives.tas.gov.au/Pioneers/taslink3.asp?ID=312252
Archives Office of Tasmania, Index to Pioneer's Database, http://resources.archives.tas.gov.au/Pioneers/taslink3.asp?ID=373225
Archives Office of Tasmania, Index to Pioneer's Database, http://resources.archives.tas.gov.au/Pioneers/taslink3.asp?ID=29702
Archives Office of Tasmania, Index to Wills & Letters of Administration, Marsh, Henry James 1897 Ref. AD960/23, p.166, Will No. 5142
Advertisement, Hobart Mercury, 1 January 1858, p.1.

Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 16 items

Previous 1 2
Yes No