Refine your search

Filter results by item type

Hanks & Lloyd, Tea & Coffee Merchants, Sydney, New South Wales

Hanks & Lloyd Token Penny

Image: Hanks & Lloyd Token Penny

Source: Museum Victoria

Hanks and Lloyd was the first in a series of three trade token-issuing businesses owned by members of these two families. The following summary describes the series of businesses.

John G. Hanks joined William Lloyd (probably William Fairclogh Lloyd - earlier identified in this text as A. Lloyd) to open a business at 319 George Street in 1853, which traded as the Australian Tea Mart. In 1855 Hanks and Lloyd issued their first tokens: commemoratives of the opening of the first Sydney Railway in1855, an excellent publicity opportunity.

Hanks and Lloyd were expecting another shipment of tokens in 1857, but the ship that was carrying them, the Dunbar, was wrecked at the Gap, in the Sydney Heads, on 20 August 1857. Samuel Peek, another token issuer, and his wife Caroline were on board the Dunbar and drowned when it sank. A month later, the Sydney Morning Herald, 28 September 1857 (p.8) reported that the partnership between Hanks and Lloyd had been dissolved on 7 September 1857. The business was to then be carried on 'by John Hanks on his own account'. He operated at the same location, now known as 478 George Street.

The replacement tokens ordered after the loss of the Dunbar did not arrive until 1858, by which time the company had changed name.

After he left the Australian Tea Mart business, William Fairclough Lloyd then went into partnership with Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd (possibly his cousin), as W.L. & D. L. Lloyd Drapers Grocers Wine and Spirit Merchants Wollongong. It appears to have been short-lived: the Sydney Morning Herald reported on 15 May 1860, p.2, that an Indenture of Assignment (debtor appoints a trustee to take charge of property to pay debts) had been made between William Fairclough Lloyd and Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd, trading as W.F. and D.L. Lloyd, and another party. By October the next year, Lloyd had teamed up with another partner, Thomas Metcalfe, as Metcalfe and Lloyd, at Hanks & Lloyd's original premises, 478 George Street. When Lloyd retired in 1866 the new partner's name was included in the title of the renamed business, Metcalfe and Foss. Metcalfe and Foss ceased trading in 1868, but members of the Lloyd family continued in the tea and coffee trade until the 1960s, 'their last shop was in the old Royal Arcade (now demolished).' (May 1988, pp.21-36)

In 1861 the founder's son, John L. Hanks, opened another 'Tea and Coffee Merchants' business at 558 George Street, trading as J. G. Hanks & Co. The next year he moved to number 520. The junior Hanks' business endured at this address until almost the end of the 19th century. J.G. Hanks left his original business in 1863 and joined his son's enterprise.

According to Arthur Andrews (Australasian Tokens & Coins), all of Hanks & Lloyd's tokens were struck by W.J. Taylor of London.

May, Tom (1988). 'Tokens of George Street.' Australian Numismatist, (Special Bicentennial Edition), pp.21-36.
Advertisement. The Sydney Morning Herald. 8 June 1854, p.1.
May, T. (2005). 'The Sydney Firm of Hanks and Lloyd, and its Associated Variations', unpublished MSS, 3pps.

Sydney Morning Herald, 30 July 1853, p.7

Sydney Morning Herald, 28 September 1857, p.8

Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 28 items

Previous 1 2 3
Yes No