Search the collections
James Urie, Councillor, Borough of Flemington & Kensington (circa 1840s-?)
Image: Medal - Flemington and Kensington Presbyterian Church Foundation Stone,1888
Source: Museum Victoria
James Urie was a local Justice of the Peace and councillor in the Borough Council of Flemington and Kensington. He served as a councillor from August 1886 to August 1888, and was Mayor from August 1887 to August 1888.
The Borough of Flemington and Kensington, established in March 1882 had, at that time, a population of 6,800 in an area of 1,078 acres. It included a city market, abbatoirs and factories. Its population was relatively dense, and efforts were underway to have the abbatoir and cattle yards removed.
Victorian Municipal Directory.
(showing 1 - 2) 2 items
Australia Victoria Flemington Flemington & Kensington Presbyterian Church Laying of Foundation Stone 1888 (AD) Mint: not recorded Other Details: Medal issued to commemorate the laying ...From: Flemington, Australia Images: 2
Stained glass window made for 'Glenferrie', Malvern, the residence of James Fergusson, a Melbourne manufacturing stationer and member of the Legislative Assembly, and Shire President 18 ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 20