Search the collections
Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW), Melbourne, Victoria
Image: Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Boards Shield
Source: Museum Victoria
The Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) was established by Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1890 and came into operation in March 1891. The MMBW was responsible for ensuring that the Melbourne area had 'an adequate supply of pure water and an efficient sanitation system'. The MMBW was responsible for the construction of the Spotswood Sewerage Pumping Station, built between 1893 and 1897, and the Werribee Treatment Works as part of Melbourne's first centralised sewerage system. Most of Melbourne's larger water supply dams were built by MMBW during the period after 1900.
The MMBW became Melbourne Water with the proclamation of the Melbourne Water Act in July 1992. MMBW traded as Melbourne Water from 1 September 1991.
Dingle, Tony & Rasmussen, Carolyn (1991). Vital Connections - Melbourne and its Board of Works 1891-1991, McPhee Gribble, Penguin Books Australia Ltd, Melbourne.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 51 - 60) 141 items
Single person electric cage lift. Use to transport Station workers down to the pumping wells. The lift was designed and built on site by MMBW staff during the 1920s at the time that ele ...Images: 2
GEC electric motor and fan blower unit. Used to ventilate the underground pumping wells. Believed to have been installed in around 1938 at the time the GEC electric pumps were installed ...Images: 5
Control handwheel for inlet isolation valve of the No. 4 pumping well. Located in the South Engine Room.Images: 1
Electric pump motor for No.10 Well. This motor was made by GEC Co. Ltd, serial no. C20626, 400 horsepower, 440 volt. It was installed in 1938 along with an identical pumpl. In March 194 ...Images: 1
Hydraulic control for isolation valve of No.4 pumping well. Located in South Engine RoomImages: 1
This electric pump motor was made by GEC Co. Ltd, serial no. C20628, 400 horsepower, 440 volt. It was installed in 1938 along with an identical pump unit for the No. 10a Well. These ele ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Medal commemorating the Thomson Dam Project, 1968-1985 The Thomson-Yarra Tunnel was a major component of the scheme. Fehrings, Swingler, Easton, and Bells are the names of the various ...From: Thomson, Australia Images: 0
Control handwheel for inlet isolation valve of the No. 2 pumping well. Located in the South Engine Room.Images: 1
Blower fan unit and electric induction motor for fume extraction from pumping wells. Electric motor size LKT4, serial no. X19739B, 400 volts. Motor manufactured by The English Electric ...Images: 6
Heavy wooden work bench. Found in the North Engine Room.Images: 2