Search the collections
Municipality of Melbourne, Victoria
The Melbourne municipality (Town of Melbourne), was created by Act 6 Victoria No. 7 of the Legislative Council of New South Wales on 12 August 1842. Four wards were created for the election of councillors, the boundaries intersecting at Bourke and Elizabeth Streets.
Melbourne's municipal territory initially extended to the limits of settlement. In 1855 East Collingwood, Prahran, Richmond, St. Kilda, South Melbourne, Fitzroy, North Melbourne and Port Melbourne were severed from Melbourne. The Melbourne municipality then consisted of Melbourne Central City, Carlton, South Yarra (west of Punt Road), East Melbourne and West Melbourne. On 30 October 1905 Flemington and Kensington borough and North Melbourne town were united with Melbourne city.
The city's council was governed on a ward system, each ward having three councillors elected by voters and an alderman elected by the councillors. At the turn of the century there were 32 council members. After various changes to the numbers of represented, the State Government replaced the councillors with three commissioners on 6 May 1981. They remained in office until the end of 1982, speeding the issue of planning permits.
In late 1992 the Liberal Party/National Party Coalition replaced the councillors with appointed commissioners. The residential part of Carlton North was transferred to Fitzroy city. In preparation for the return of an elected council the residential areas of Flemington and part of North Melbourne were severed from the municipality, and Southbank, Docklands and the Show Grounds were added. The new City of Melbourne was created by Order of the Governor in Council on Thursday, 18 November, 1993.
Melbourne city municipality today includes Carlton, Docklands, East Melbourne, Jolimont, Kensington, North Melbourne, Parkville, Royal Park, Southbank, South Yarra (part) and West Melbourne.
Melbourne city's census populations were 36, 668 (1861); 54,993 (1871); 73,361 (1891); 103,598 (1911, after absorbing Flemington, Kensington and North Melbourne); 99, 861 (1947); 75,830 (1971); and 60,476 (1991). In 1996, after the reduction of Melbourne municipality's area, its census population was 48,560.
Australia Places website, Monash University http://arts.monash.edu/ncas/multimedia/gazetteer/list/melbourne.html
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 53 items
Gilt bronze medal issued to celebrate victory in both Europe and the Pacific, marking the end of the World War II. Minted by Stokes in 1945, it was given to children of the City of Melb ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 7
Public address speaker. Used at Newmarket Saleyards. One of a number used throughout Newmarket Saleyards by Melbourne City Council to call people to the nearest phone. Phones were loca ...Images: 1
Solid timber document tray. Used in Administration Offices. Used at Newmarket Saleyards.Images: 1
Red hardback book used to record: employees name, days on sick leave, number of hours worked overtime, annual leave, leave without pay, and weekly rates of pay for drivers and labourers ...Images: 5
Supply list with descriptions of products, codes and sizes. Items include turpentine, cement and floor polish. Affixed to masonite notice board hung in Administration Offices at Newmark ...Images: 2
Leaflet indicating place names and associated codes. Used in reference to maintenance at Newmarket Saleyards. Affixed to masonite notice board hung in Administration Offices at Newmarke ...Images: 1
City of Melbourne Cattle Market time slip, dated 1970-1979. Unsigned. Used in reference to cleaning maintenance at Newmarket Saleyards. Affixed to masonite notice board hung in Administ ...Images: 1
Notice relating to plumbing and electrical work affixed to masonite notice board hung in Administration Offices at Newmarket Saleyards.Images: 1
One of 11 photographs taken by Robert Cutting on 25 April 2010 who was commissioned by the Kensington Community Group for use in preparation for the 150th Anniversary of the Newmarket S ...Images: 1
Council Plan of Parishes "Cut Paw Paw and Doutta Galla", municipalities of Footscray, dated 10 May 1984. Physical boundaries of the map are: North border - Footscray Park, Maribyrnon ...Images: 1