Search the collections
Operative Painters & Decorators Union, Melbourne, Victoria
The Operative Painters' and Decorators' Union originated as a craft union in the nineteenth century. It retained this tradition within the building industry until large-scale union amalgamation occurred in the late 1980s, initiated by the Australian Council of Trade Unions.
The Union was first registered federally in 1910 as the Federated House & Ship Painters, Paperhangers & Decorators Employees' Association Australasia. By 1915 it had become the Operative Painters & Decorators of Australasia. In 1918 the name changed again, to the Operative Painters' & Decorators' Union of Australia. Seventy-five years later, in 1993, the union amalgamated to form the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union.
Australian Trade Union Archives website http://www.atua.org.au/biogs/ALE0678b.htm
(showing 1 - 2) 2 items
Large trade union banner produced for the Operative Painters' & Decorators' Union of Australasia, Victorian Branch, 1915. It is painted on two sides of a single piece of canvas and was ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 8
Australia New South Wales Operative Painters & Decorators Union Proficiency Award c. 1980 (AD) Mint: Perfection Badges Awarded to: Not issued. The Operative Painters' and Decorators' Un ...Images: 2