Search the collections
Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps)
Image: Uniform - Victorian Artillery
Source: Museum Victoria
In 1842 a series of attacks by bushrangers on homesteads in the Plenty River area north of Melbourne led to the first calls for a volunteer force.
It was suggested that the force be called the 'Port Phillip Volunteers'. Twelve military districts were envisaged, each to be commanded by a former army captain. The volunteers would dress in a green uniform and be heavily armed with a rifle, two pistols and a sword.
However, it was illegal to raise an armed force anywhere in the British Empire, except with the express approval of the Crown, and a special parliamentary act was required. Twelve years later, in 1854, Governor Sir Charles Hotham approved an Act to establish a Volunteer Corps not exceeding 2000 men, with officers appointed by the Governor. The force was independent from the regular British units, which maintained a presence until 1870.
The first unit formed was the Melbourne Volunteer Rifle Regiment, followed shortly afterwards by the Richmond Rifles, the Emerald Hill Rifles, the East Collingwood Rifles and the Fitzroy Rifles. Cavalry, Artillery, Engineer, Torpedo and Signal units quickly followed, named after the localities in which they were raised. All units were voluntary, with service part-time and unpaid. By 1860, the Act had been amended to allow a Volunteer force of 10,000.
The volunteer forces were disbanded in 1884, replaced by a 'Militia' organisation. The Militia were paid, and enrolled for a fixed term. Mounted Rifles and Victorian Rangers - The Victorian Mounted Rifles - were established a year later, and a Permanent Artillery Corps (or the Victorian Artillery) was formed in 1870.
Marmion, B. (2003). 'The Victoria Volunteer Force on the central Victorian Goldfields, 1858-1883', MA Thesis, Latrobe University Bendigo.
Miller, T.(1957). 'The History of the Defence Forces of the Port Phillip District, 1836-1900', unpublished MA dissertation, School of History, University of Melbourne.
National Archives of Australia website: http://www.naa.gov.au/about-us/publications/fact-sheets/fs134.aspx
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 53 items
Alternative name: Tunic Officer's Jacket, made by Stanley Nichols in Melbourne, 1893. Worn by an officer in the Victorian Permanent Artillery.Images: 2
Sword Belt with two buff slings for a 1853 Pattern Sword. Used by a soldier in the Victorian Horse Artillery.Images: 1
Alternative names: Trousers Pair of officer's pants, made by Stanley Nichols in Melbourne, 1893. Worn by an officer in the Victorian Permanent Artillery.Images: 2
British Service percussion rifle, Lancaster carbine (Ordnance Model), cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, 80.30cm long, bayonet mount on right hand side. Made by John Edward Ba ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 3
Full Dress Pantaloons with 1 3/4" stipe, worn by a gunner in the Victorian Horse Artillery. The design of each uniform was strictly spelt out in military regulations. The red collar sho ...Images: 1
Officer's shoulder belt and Morrocon leather pouch, 1893. Worn by an officer in the Victorian Permanent Artillery.Images: 1
Officer's Sword Belt with slings. Worn by an officer in the Victorian Permanent Artillery, 1893.Images: 1
Victorian Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal 1880 (AD). Minted by Stokes & Martin. Awarded to No. 2821 EX PTE. BIRD, C.F. 1ST. VIC. REGT. The Victorian Volunteer Forces were ...Images: 2
Australia Victoria Melbourne Victorian Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal 1880 (AD) Mint: Stokes & Martin Awarded to: G. Mc ARTHUR. 1880 Other Details: The Victorian Voluntee ...Images: 2