Search the collections
Thomas Gaunt, Watchmaker & Jeweller (1829-1890)
Image: Certificate - Melbourne International Exhibition 1880-1881
Source: Museum Victoria
Thomas Gaunt established Melbourne's leading watchmaking, optical and jewellery business during the second half of the 19th century. Gaunt arrived in Melbourne in 1852, and by 1858 had established his own business in Little Bourke Street. Around 1869 he moved to new premises in Bourke Street on the corner of Royal Arcade, and Gaunt's shop quickly became a Melbourne institution.
Gaunt proudly advertised that he was 'The only watch manufacturer in the Australian colonies'. While many watches and clocks may have had Gaunt's name on the dial, few would have been made locally. Gaunt did make some watches for exhibitions, and perhaps a few expensive watches for wealthy individuals. Gaunt's received a telegraph signal from Melbourne Observatory each day to correct his main clock, and used this signal to rate and repair ship's chronometers and good quality watches.
His main horological manufacturing was directed at turret clocks for town halls, churches and post offices. These tended to be specific commissions requiring individualised design and construction. He made the clock for the Melbourne Post Office lobby, to a design by Government Astronomer Robert Ellery, and won an award at the 1880-81 Melbourne International Exhibition for his turret clock for the Emerald Hill Town Hall. He became well known for his installation of a chronograph at Flemington Racecourse in 1876, which showed the time for the race, accurate to a quarter of a second. The firm also installed the clockwork and figures for Gog and Magog in the Royal Arcade.
Thomas Gaunt also developed a department that focussed on scientific instrumentation, making thermometers and barometers (from imported glass tubes), telescopes, surveying instruments and microscopes. Another department specialised in electroplating for trophies, awards and silverware, and the firm manufactured large amounts of ecclesiastical goldware and silverware, including for St Patrick's Cathedral.
There are no records that disclose the number of employees in the firm, but it was large enough for Gaunt to hold an annual picnic for the watchmakers and apprentices at Mordialloc from 1876; two years previously they had successfully lobbied Gaunt to win the eight hour day. Gaunt's workforce was reportedly very stable, with many workers remaining in the business for 15 to 30 years.
Gaunt died in 1890, leaving a substantial estate of 41,453 pounds. The firm continued to operate under the name of T. Gaunt & Co.
The Argus (24 July 1875), p.10.
The Argus (3 Nov 1876), p.5.
Bolton H.C. & Williams, N.H. (1998). 'Scientific instrument makers and dealers in Victoria, 1840-1914', Historical Records of Australian Science, 12: pp.15-82.
M>Cyclopedia of Victoria (1904). 'T. Gaunt & Co.' 2: pp.166-167.
Table Talk (18 July 1890), pp.16-17.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 15 items
Certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne by the Intercolonial Exhibition of Australasia, Melbourne, 1866-67. Awarded for an exhibit of spectacles by the jury of Section XVII. Pri ...Images: 1
No Image Available
Certificate appointing T. Gaunt & Co as jeweller & watchmakers to Hon. Sir Reginald H.J. Talbot, Governor of Victroria, 15 April 1905. Talbot was Governor of Victoria 1904-1908.From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 0
No Image Available
Certificate appointing T. Gaunt & Co as watch & clock maker & optician to Lord Brassey, Governor of Victroria, 22 June 1896. Brassey was Governor of Victoria 1895-1900.From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 0
No Image Available
Certificate of Merit Awarded to Thomas Gaunt at the Geelong Industrial and Fine Arts Exhibition, for excellence in philosophical instruments, 17 May 1876. Lithographer: George Mercer, ...From: Geelong, Australia Images: 0
Gold medal certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne, at the Geelong Industrial and Juvenile Exhibition, 1879-80. Awarded for Class II: scientific instruments, telescopes, baromete ...
Certificate for a Special Silver Medal awarded to Thomas Gaunt at the Intercolonial Exhibition, Melbourne, November 1875. Awarded for or excellence in an improved telescope stand and co ...
Certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne by the Intercolonial Exhibition of Australasia, Melbourne, 1866-67. Awarded for an exhibit of cut colonial pebbles used in spectacles by t ...
Certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne at the Victorian Intercolonial Exhibition of Wine, Fruit & Grain, Melbourne, 1884. Awarded for clockwork and emu eggs. Lithograph by Izet ...
Gold medal certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne, for clocks and watches, at the Melbourne Exhibition, 1872-73. This exhibition was a precursor to the London International Exhi ...
Silver medal certificate awarded to Thomas Gaunt, Melbourne for silver and electroplate, at the Melbourne Exhibition, 1872-73. This exhibition was a precursor to the London Internationa ...