Search the collections
Dr Phillip Law, Scientist, Explorer & Administrator (1912-2010)
Image: Mittens - Japanese, Yellow
Source: Museum Victoria
Dr Phillip Garth Law - known as 'Mr Antarctica' - led Australia's Antarctic exploration for nearly twenty years. Under Dr Law's leadership Australia established a permanent presence in Antarctica; the Australian Antarctic coastline was mapped, much of it for the first time, and a strong focus was maintained on scientific research in Antarctica.
Dr Law joined the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE) in 1947 as an upper-atmospheric physicist, and in 1949 was appointed as the second Director of the Antarctic Division of the Commonwealth Department of External Affairs (now the Australian Antarctic Division of the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Heritage). He held this post until his retirement in 1966.
Phil Law was instrumental in the development of the Antarctic Division and the ANARE programs and led the expeditions that established Australia's three Antarctic stations: Mawson in 1954, Davis in 1957, and Casey in 1964. Dr Law was also personally responsible for much of the international cooperation between Australia and other national expeditions in Antarctica, and as such played a crucial role in the International Geophysical Year of 1958-59.
After resigning from the Antarctic Division, Phillip Law took a position as Vice-President of the newly created Victorian Institute of the Colleges where he remained until 1977. In his time there he oversaw the creation of two new colleges, the Victorian College of the Arts and the Lincoln Institute of Health Sciences.
Phillip Law was also President of the Royal Society of Victoria between 1967 and 1969 and was foundation President of the Australia/New Zealand Scientific Exploration Society between 1978 and 1980. Dr Law received many honours including the Polar Medal, the Royal Geographical Society's Founders Medal and a Companion of the Order of Australia.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 13 items
These traditional ski boots boots made by Tricouni Brevete were used in ski resorts generall y in the 1960s. They were used by Phillip G. Law from 1960 onwards in Antarctica - only wit ...Images: 1
Bryant and May Patent Safety Match Box collected by Australian Antarctic Division Director, Dr Phillip Law from Mawson's Huts, which were constructed during the Australasian Antarctic E ...Images: 2
Certificate presented to Dr Phillip Law by the American Geophysical Union and the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics in recognition of the contribution of Dr Law and ANARE to ...Images: 1
Suitcase used by Phillip Law in Antarctica, circa 1954 - 1966. This is part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefacts from the post-war era of scientific exploration of Antarctica. ...Images: 1
Japanese issue mittens, presented to Australian Antarctic Division Director Dr Phillip Law by the Japanese Antarctic Expedition. They are part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefa ...Images: 1
Pair of fur mittens made by Louis Trudel Ltd. They were originally owned by Australian aviator Sir Hubert Wilkins, and subsequently by Australian Antarctic Division Director Dr Phillip ...Images: 3
Red/brown suede leather British Army boots worn by Dr Phillip Law predominantly at Heard Island and Macquarie Island, but also in summer for coastal work in Antarctic parts by parties d ...Images: 1
Pair of grey wool socks, Navy issue. They were used by ANARE Director Phil Law on the vessels Wyatt Earp and the Labuan between 1947 - 1951. They were for shipboard use only and not use ...Images: 1
No Image Available
Pair of indoor slippers made by Henke with vibram, a new type of rubber sole. These shoes were purchased in Norway and used experimentally in Antarctica by Australian Antarctic Division ...Images: 0