Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1041 - 1050) 1461 items
Percussion pistol, cal. 31 bore (.531 in.), converted from flintlock. Made by Patrick, Liverpool, early 19th century. Jeremiah Patrick active 1795-1814; son Edward Patrick active 1815 ...From: Liverpool, United Kingdom Images: 1
British Service percussion rifle, Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle, cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, 84.00cm long, bayonet mount on R.H.side. Buttplate tang stamped 'E/ 81/ V.V' den ...Images: 3
Australian Service rifle, Francotte Patent Martini, cal. .230in. (297/230), steel rifled (five groove) round barrel, 699 mm long. Made by Birmingham Small Arms Co, Ltd, circa 1890. Th ...From: Liege, Belgium Images: 3
Full Dress Pantaloons with 1 3/4" stipe, worn by a gunner in the Victorian Horse Artillery. The design of each uniform was strictly spelt out in military regulations. The red collar sho ...Images: 1
Australia War Medal 1939 - 1945 Awarded to: VX74401 R.C. PATERSON MEDAL GROUP, R. C. PATERSON VX 74401, CAMPAIGN MEDALS. THE WAR MEDAL 1939- 1945 AND AUSTRALIA SERVICE MEDAL 1939- 1945 ...Images: 2