Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1061 - 1070) 1213 items
Percussion pistol, belt. cal. 14 bore (.670 in.) muzzle loading, smooth bore, octagonal barrel 5 1/8 in. (130 mm) long, overall length 10 7/16 in. (265 mm). Made by William Jones, Lond ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 1
Percussion pistol, double barrelled, belt. cal. 41 bore (.484 in.). Made by William Jeffery, Plymouth, England, circa 1860 (active 1849-1869).From: Plymouth, United Kingdom Images: 1
British Service percussion rifle, Pattern 1853 Rifle, third model, cal. .577 in., steel rifled round barrel, cut down to 661 mm long. Made by government contractors in Birmingham, and w ...From: Birmingham, United Kingdom Images: 4
Shooters in a boat on the Murrumbidgee River near 'Punumbit' farm.From: Balranald, Australia Images: 1
Model of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) 'V' class destroyer HMAS Voyager (I) built in the UK in 1918. Served with the Royal Navy until 1933 when it was transferred to the RAN. Voyager ...Images: 3
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...Images: 1