Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1071 - 1080) 1213 items
Two hunters with a deer head. Each man holds a gun.From: Terang, Australia Images: 1
Two men with packhorse, leading man has shotgun , second man carries. Umbrella. Tropical location.Images: 1
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...Images: 1
Three men at a camp site. There are two horses on the left and a buggy on the right. One of the men is seated on a fallen log, one stands and the third reclines on the ground. There is ...Images: 1
Volume one of a two volume hand-written diary kept by Albert Germaine of the 39th Battalion, AIF, during World War I. Approximate date for the first entry is 13 February 1917. The diary ...Images: 2
Naturalists at camp.Images: 1
Photograph is located in an album: Volume No. 3: "Miscellaneous: H.V. McKay Ballarat, Sunshine Factories & Products; Maps, Plans & Charts; Passport Photographs; 1904-1945", page 131. T ...Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1