Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1201 - 1210) 1213 items
One of thirty-two black and white photographs in an album [two are loose] taken by A J Campbell during a Field Naturalists' Club of Victoria expedition to King Island. The album also i ...Images: 1
Camp with tent and man in eucalyptus forest.From: Cardwell, Australia Images: 1
Image taken by A.J. Campbell, it is one of his earliest. Photograph album containing 181 black and white and sepia toned photographs taken by A.J. Campbell, ornithologist, during field ...Images: 1
Image taken by A.J. Campbell on a family and friends Christmas camping trip to Lyterfield in 1903. The image is part of a Photograph album containing 181 black and white and sepia toned ...Images: 1
A man seated on stones at the edge of the Lerderderg River. He is holding a shotgun.From: Lerderderg River, Australia Images: 1
2 men in garden, one posed with target ( jam tin on head) the other with pistol, arm raised (jesting!).Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaFrom: Ballarat, Australia Images: 1