Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1201 - 1210) 1420 items
German World War II steel helmet with a black and silver German Army eagle decal on the left hand side. Serial number: BN 76.Images: 3
No Image Available
Alternative Name(s): Sounding Rocket Lorikeet Mark 2, Australian-designed, two-stage upper atmospheric research rocket powered by cast composite propellant motors (Dorado 1A & Lupus 3A ...From: Maribyrnong, Australia Images: 0
Percussion pepperbox revolver, cal. .390 in., six barrelled, steel, 8.60 long. Made by James Rock Cooper, Birmingham (active c.1840-1853), circa 1845.From: Birmingham, United Kingdom Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1
Australia War Medal 1939 - 1945 Awarded to: VX 37047 S.E. HAYES From ST 36482: MEDAL GROUP, S. E. HAYES VX 37047. DEFENCE MEDAL, SERVICE MEDAL 1939- 1945, WAR MEDAL 1939- 1945 AND AUST ...Images: 2
Cardboard-covered third volume of a diary written by Corporal S.W. Siddeley. The diary consists of three notebooks, written between October 1914 and September 1915. It covers the first ...Images: 2
A small boy dressed in his father 's hat, rifle and leggings.Images: 1