Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 95 items
Newspaper clippings in an album that belonged to an Australian serviceman in the 5th Australian Light House during World War I. Two columns from an unknown newspaper stuck into front in ...Images: 1
A two-page, hand-written letter from Australian World War I soldier Edgar James McCarthy, at Australian Headquarters, Salisbury, England, to 'Ethel' on 16 September 1916. He complains o ...Images: 2
Book of Common Prayer (Anglican), bound in maroon leather. Prayer book includes psalms and hymns, ancient and modern. Gift to Corporal S.W. Siddeley, Australian Army Medical Corps, from ...Images: 1
Issue no.11, February 1919, of World War I-era publication titled 'Aussie', 'The Australian Soldiers' Magazine'. Printed in the field by the AIF Printing Section. One of a collection ...Images: 1
Issue no.13, April 1919, of World War I-era publication titled 'Aussie', 'The Australian Soldiers' Magazine'. Printed in the field by the AIF Printing Section. One of a collection of c ...Images: 1
Issue no. 7, September 1918, of World War I-era publication titled 'Aussie', 'The Australian Soldiers' Magazine'. Printed in the field by the AIF Printing Section. One of a collectio ...Images: 1
Label from the Australian Imperial Force hospital issued in the name of Thomas Joseph Hewitt. Stamped 'No. 2 Austn. Command Depot A.M.C., 29 October 1917, Weymouth'. Likely to have bee ...Images: 1
Issue no.8, October 1918, of World War I-era publication titled 'Aussie', 'The Australian Soldiers' Magazine'. Printed in the field by the AIF Printing Section. One of a collection of ...Images: 1
Event program for the welcome home function for Lieutenant J. W. Witton at Sargents Cafe, 1917. Includes a menu, list of toasts, list of entertainment program and page for autographs. P ...Images: 4
1939-45 Star medal awarded to Mjr. William Edward Ball, service number VX 150043, for service in World War II. Part of Medal Group awarded to Major Ball that includes: 1939-1945 Star, ...Images: 2