Search the collections
Image: Machine Gun - Nordenfelt
Source: Museum Victoria
The Arms collection is one of the museum's oldest and most extensive collections. Comprising over 3600 items, it is the most important of its type in Australia, with sub-collections of international significance.
The collection can be interpreted from a number of perspectives: the technical development of firearms and munitions, military history, social and political history, and the aesthetics of decoration and craftsmanship.
It comprises a broad range of weapons and associated items, including pistols, muskets, rifles, machine guns, swords, knives, bayonets, artillery pieces and armour. The majority of the collection dates from the 18th to the 20th centuries, although there is a small number of earlier items.
- The Cole Collection of firearms represents the golden age of English gun manufacturing in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many items are of high aesthetic as well as technical value.
- 19th century military firearms, especially British Empire firearms, reflecting Victorian colonial life and colonial defences.
- Weapons seized in British Empire wars in the 19th century, including the Canning Indian Mutiny Collection and the Pretyman collection of items seized in the Boer War.
- A substantial and broad collection of Colt firearms, particularly handguns, from the 19th century.
- Representative examples of firearms with particular Melbourne and Victorian provenance, including firearms sold by local distributors and retailers.
- The 1907 model Savage automatic pistol serial no. 1, the private firearm of the director of Savage Arms, Colonel Benjamin Adriance.
- Japanese armour and swords.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 47 items
10 years service badge of the Victorian volunteer forces. The Victorian volunteer forces issued long service badges for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years service.Images: 2
Victorian Military Forces Best Shot Medal 1893-94, awarded to Sergeant Zabina Lane, B Company, Victorian Rangers. Zebina Lane (1829-1906) was a mining engineer working in St Arnaud in ...Images: 2
Australia George Medal Awarded to: LIEUT. KEITH S. UPTON. E.A.N.V.R. For bomb and mine disposal From ST 37514: GEORGE MEDAL AWARDED TO LIEUTENANT KEITH S. UPTON, RANVR FOR BRAVERY - 1 ...Images: 2
Rockbank Presentation Medal 7 October 1922 Other Details: A gold medal hung from a blue ribbon from an inscribed gold bar with pin, presented to Donald Mackintosh, Melbourne, in 1922 fo ...Images: 2
Gold prize medal of the Victorian Rifle Association, awarded to Sergeant Limerock, 1873. The Rifle Association was closely linked to the Victorian Volunteer Defence Force, whose motto ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Australia Medal - Victorian Rifle Association Prize Affiliated Clubs Medal 1911 (AD) Mint: not recorded Won by: J. Lang Other Details: Victorian Rifle Association silver prize medal, wo ...Images: 2
War Medal 1939 - 1945. Awarded to Albert Bartholomew, service no. 10943. Born in 1901 in Sea Lake, Victoria, he served in the Royal Australian Air Force 12 Jul 1940 until 26 Oct 1945, ...Images: 2
Australia War Medal 1939 - 1945 Awarded to : VX 37858 R.D. GRIST FOUR CAMPAIGN MEDALS OF EX 2/22 MEMBER VX 37858 GRIST, R.D. WORLD WAR TWO.Images: 2
Australia The Defence Medal 1939 - 45 Awarded to Albert Bartholomew, service no. 10943. Born in 1901 in Sea Lake, Victoria, he served in the Royal Australian Air Force 12 Jul 1940 unt ...Images: 2
Australia War Medal 1939 - 1945 Awarded to: VX 12680 F.L. READ MEDAL GROUP, F.L. READ VX 126810. 1939-45 STAR, PACIFIC STAR, WAR MEDAL 1939-45 AND AUSTRALIA SERVICE MEDAL 1939-45. UNMO ...Images: 2