Search the collections
Domestic & Community Life Collection
Image: Recipe Book - The New Sunshine Cookery Book
Source: Museum Victoria
The Domestic and Communtiy Life collection takes in a large sweep of the material culture of everyday life. It comprises several thousand objects, several thousand images, hundreds of documents, and a small number of sound recordings and intangible representations related to the lives and identities that Victorians have created for themselves at home and in their wider communities since European settlement.
The collection is underpinned by five interrelated themes: the home, domestic life, domestic ideology, community life and identity, with a focus on significant periods of domestic life dating from European settlement in Victoria to the present.
It is most significant in relation to domestic life in early to mid-20th-century Victoria, in particular regarding the technologies and tools used in food preparation, cooking, storage and preservation, cleaning and laundry.
- A cot used by Richmond Henty in 1837.
- A Wolter and Echberg washing machine, designed and manufactured in Melbourne around the 1880s.
- An extensive collection of early to mid 20th century domestic appliances, including vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washing machines and stoves.
- 32 architectural models of domestic buildings in Melbourne, 1839-1989.
- Images documenting domestic and community life, particularly the Biggest Family Album collections.
- The Graeme Fullarton Collection which records the experience of building a new home in East Keilor in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The Aldred Photograph Collection.
- The State Electricity Photograph Collection.
- The Laurie Richards Photograph Collection.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 5411 - 5420) 5634 items
Hand coloured stereograph of jonquils in a vase.Images: 1
Young girl feeding kangaroo.Images: 1
Hand coloured stereograph of orchids.Images: 1
Glass negative portrait of Mrs Alice Edington Harvie (nee Marshall) sitting in a chair, under the porch of a house. Alice Harvie was the wife of Melbourne photographer, Mr Robert Harvi ...Images: 1
Image taken by A.J. Campbell, it is one of his earliest. Photograph album containing 181 black and white and sepia toned photographs taken by A.J. Campbell, ornithologist, during field ...Images: 1
Magazine 'Smoke Signals' Vol 1, No 1. Smoke Signals is the official magazine of the Aborigines Advancement League, it is published by the Associated Publicity Services, East Melbourne, ...From: East Melbourne, Australia Images: 3
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1
Program for 'An Aboriginal Moomba: Out of the Dark' held at the Princess Theatre, Melbourne in 1951. The year 1951 was the Centenary of Victoria and the 50th anniversary of Federation i ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 3
Landscape view taken at Mount Buffalo and environs in the Victorian Highlands. Shows view of a local town. Mounted in oval matt board mount.From: Mt Buffalo, Australia Images: 1
Glass plate negative portrait of Jean Wentworth Harvie, probably between the ages of 12 and 14 years. It is thought that this photograph was taken by her father, studio photographer, ...Images: 1