Search the collections
Domestic & Community Life Collection
Image: Recipe Book - The New Sunshine Cookery Book
Source: Museum Victoria
The Domestic and Communtiy Life collection takes in a large sweep of the material culture of everyday life. It comprises several thousand objects, several thousand images, hundreds of documents, and a small number of sound recordings and intangible representations related to the lives and identities that Victorians have created for themselves at home and in their wider communities since European settlement.
The collection is underpinned by five interrelated themes: the home, domestic life, domestic ideology, community life and identity, with a focus on significant periods of domestic life dating from European settlement in Victoria to the present.
It is most significant in relation to domestic life in early to mid-20th-century Victoria, in particular regarding the technologies and tools used in food preparation, cooking, storage and preservation, cleaning and laundry.
- A cot used by Richmond Henty in 1837.
- A Wolter and Echberg washing machine, designed and manufactured in Melbourne around the 1880s.
- An extensive collection of early to mid 20th century domestic appliances, including vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washing machines and stoves.
- 32 architectural models of domestic buildings in Melbourne, 1839-1989.
- Images documenting domestic and community life, particularly the Biggest Family Album collections.
- The Graeme Fullarton Collection which records the experience of building a new home in East Keilor in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The Aldred Photograph Collection.
- The State Electricity Photograph Collection.
- The Laurie Richards Photograph Collection.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 5431 - 5440) 5634 items
Glass plate negative portrait of Edythe Ellison Harvie, probably between the ages of 15 and 17 years. It is thought that this photograph was taken by her father, studio photographer, ...Images: 1
Glass plate negative portrait of Matilda Lang (nee Gilchrist), Ellen D'Arcy Harvie (nee Lang), D'Arcy Thomas Harvie and Donald D'Arcy Harvie in a garden. Donald Harvie is probably aroun ...Images: 1
Glass plate negative portrait of Robert William Harvie standing in a garden with gardening tools. The date range for this photograph is taken from a similar photograph of the Mr Harvie ...Images: 1
Glass plate negative portrait of Robert William Harvie and his daughter, Edythe Ellison Harvie, working in a backyard garden. Ellison, as she was commonly known, is probably between the ...Images: 1
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...Images: 1
Portrait of a young girl wearing a bonnet and an oversized dress sitting in an elaborate chair pretending to knit.From: Merrigum, Australia Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaFrom: Isisford, Australia Images: 1
Glass negative depicting dredges under construction. Prior to the invention of cellulose nitrate film in 1903, photographic emulsion was supported on glass. Two different formats were ...From: Richmond, Australia Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...From: Silvan, Australia Images: 1