Search the collections
Domestic & Community Life Collection
Image: Recipe Book - The New Sunshine Cookery Book
Source: Museum Victoria
The Domestic and Communtiy Life collection takes in a large sweep of the material culture of everyday life. It comprises several thousand objects, several thousand images, hundreds of documents, and a small number of sound recordings and intangible representations related to the lives and identities that Victorians have created for themselves at home and in their wider communities since European settlement.
The collection is underpinned by five interrelated themes: the home, domestic life, domestic ideology, community life and identity, with a focus on significant periods of domestic life dating from European settlement in Victoria to the present.
It is most significant in relation to domestic life in early to mid-20th-century Victoria, in particular regarding the technologies and tools used in food preparation, cooking, storage and preservation, cleaning and laundry.
- A cot used by Richmond Henty in 1837.
- A Wolter and Echberg washing machine, designed and manufactured in Melbourne around the 1880s.
- An extensive collection of early to mid 20th century domestic appliances, including vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washing machines and stoves.
- 32 architectural models of domestic buildings in Melbourne, 1839-1989.
- Images documenting domestic and community life, particularly the Biggest Family Album collections.
- The Graeme Fullarton Collection which records the experience of building a new home in East Keilor in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The Aldred Photograph Collection.
- The State Electricity Photograph Collection.
- The Laurie Richards Photograph Collection.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 5491 - 5500) 5634 items
'Sth Melb.' a man driving the under carriage section of a large unbuilt truck, showing its tyres, fuel tanks and suspension mechanism. Houses are in the b/ground.From: South Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Man sitting outside a dilapidated hut.Images: 1
Portrait of a young girl with a large bow in her hair and on her dress standing in a garden.From: Merrigum, Australia Images: 1
The house Arnold Rodda rented from the Long Tunnel Minefor 1/- per week.Images: 1
Very young child sitting outside against a wall. Child is wearing a bonnet.Images: 1
Parrots in aviary.Images: 1
Parrots in aviary.Images: 1
Exterior of a butcher's shop with the proprietor leaning against the wall. The small shop is constructed of wood and fibro cement, and features a sloping verandah supported by two posts ...From: Merrigum, Australia Images: 1
Group of students and adults, one with a baby on her lap, sitting and standing around a picnic lunch. There is a small hut in the background.Images: 1
Black and white aerial photograph showing the H.V McKay Massey Harris factory in Sunshine in June 1943. The image includes views of the Melbourne-Sydney railway line, factory quarry (in ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 2