Search the collections
Domestic & Community Life Collection
Image: Recipe Book - The New Sunshine Cookery Book
Source: Museum Victoria
The Domestic and Communtiy Life collection takes in a large sweep of the material culture of everyday life. It comprises several thousand objects, several thousand images, hundreds of documents, and a small number of sound recordings and intangible representations related to the lives and identities that Victorians have created for themselves at home and in their wider communities since European settlement.
The collection is underpinned by five interrelated themes: the home, domestic life, domestic ideology, community life and identity, with a focus on significant periods of domestic life dating from European settlement in Victoria to the present.
It is most significant in relation to domestic life in early to mid-20th-century Victoria, in particular regarding the technologies and tools used in food preparation, cooking, storage and preservation, cleaning and laundry.
- A cot used by Richmond Henty in 1837.
- A Wolter and Echberg washing machine, designed and manufactured in Melbourne around the 1880s.
- An extensive collection of early to mid 20th century domestic appliances, including vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washing machines and stoves.
- 32 architectural models of domestic buildings in Melbourne, 1839-1989.
- Images documenting domestic and community life, particularly the Biggest Family Album collections.
- The Graeme Fullarton Collection which records the experience of building a new home in East Keilor in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The Aldred Photograph Collection.
- The State Electricity Photograph Collection.
- The Laurie Richards Photograph Collection.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 5501 - 5510) 5567 items
Interior view of a grocery store showing two retail employees checking stock on the shelves. Around them are a number of promotional displays.From: Port Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Same house as collection number 1302 ? (although no house is mentioned in 1302!).Images: 1
Front gate of a house with a garden . A young girl stands on the right.Images: 1
Formal garden with a woman and two children ?.Images: 1
Interior of sitting room featuring fireplace, fire screen and chair.Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1
Two women in large, well established garden of a large Victorian house.Images: 1
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaFrom: Doodlakine, Australia Images: 1
Portrait of young girl with long hair.Images: 1