Search the collections
Domestic & Community Life Collection
Image: Recipe Book - The New Sunshine Cookery Book
Source: Museum Victoria
The Domestic and Communtiy Life collection takes in a large sweep of the material culture of everyday life. It comprises several thousand objects, several thousand images, hundreds of documents, and a small number of sound recordings and intangible representations related to the lives and identities that Victorians have created for themselves at home and in their wider communities since European settlement.
The collection is underpinned by five interrelated themes: the home, domestic life, domestic ideology, community life and identity, with a focus on significant periods of domestic life dating from European settlement in Victoria to the present.
It is most significant in relation to domestic life in early to mid-20th-century Victoria, in particular regarding the technologies and tools used in food preparation, cooking, storage and preservation, cleaning and laundry.
- A cot used by Richmond Henty in 1837.
- A Wolter and Echberg washing machine, designed and manufactured in Melbourne around the 1880s.
- An extensive collection of early to mid 20th century domestic appliances, including vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, washing machines and stoves.
- 32 architectural models of domestic buildings in Melbourne, 1839-1989.
- Images documenting domestic and community life, particularly the Biggest Family Album collections.
- The Graeme Fullarton Collection which records the experience of building a new home in East Keilor in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- The Aldred Photograph Collection.
- The State Electricity Photograph Collection.
- The Laurie Richards Photograph Collection.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 461 - 470) 489 items
No Image Available
Excerpt from a brochure dating from the early 1960s promoting E.W. Hales and Sons homes. The brochure advertises a display home available for £3795, to be 'erected on your own land', an ...From: Footscray, Australia Images: 0
1963 colour brochure advertising Hillcrest homes, presented by Hal. Jonson & Co. of Nunawading, sole managing real estate agents for Hillcrest Constructions Pty. Ltd. The brochure featu ...From: Nunawading, Australia Images: 1
No Image Available
Alternative Name(s): Scrap Book Green scrapbook with guarded pages (interleaving pages removed to allow for thickness of pasted items). Labelled 'For Miscellaneous Scraps'. Pages have ...Images: 0
Early 1960s colour brochure from Leighton Homes Pty Ltd advertising their house designs for a new housing estate at Seaford, a sea-side suburb on the south east of Port Phillip Bay in M ...
Early 1960s colour brochure advertising Peter Sanders Pty Ltd house design, 'The Clifton'. It includes information about the company, features of the home, financial details and a floor ...
Early 1960s black and white brochure advertising Planet Realty Corp. Pty Ltd 'Popular Home Plans'. The front features a sketch of the 'Medway' design. Other house designs are named afte ...From: Footscray, Australia Images: 1
Early 1960s colour brochure from S & S Constructions Pty Ltd, advertising 'The Wreford Series II' house designs. It features information about the company, floor plans, images of homes ...
Early 1960s black and white brochure advertising the "Amaroo" house by Spaceline Homes Pty Ltd. The 'Amaroo' was a 3 bedroom brick veneer home of 1304 square feet, including the terrace ...From: Glen Waverley, Australia Images: 1