Search the collections
Images & Image Making Collection
Image: Poster - 'Double Your Week-End Fun, Go with a Kodak', 1930s
Source: Museum Victoria
Encompassing more than 300,000 images relating to all aspects of Victoria's history, and more than 1,000 artefacts relating to photography and image production generally, this is the largest collection within the History and Technology Collection.
The collection focuses on heritage images relating to the history of Victoria, and the history of image making in Victoria, from European settlement onwards. Images within the collection reflect all curatorial areas including engineering, transport, sustainability, information and communication, domestic and community life, immigration, working lives, public and institutional life, design, cultural diversity, clothing and textiles, medicine in society, and sciences.
Significant collections and items
- Kodak Australasia Heritage Collection & Baker and Rouse Collection: 1,000s of photographs, advertising material, photographic products and factory floor artefacts.
- McKay Archive: 25,000 images, 600 negatives and 19 films.
- Melbourne Observatory: astronomical and operations photographs.
- Biggest Family Album in Australia & Melbourne's Biggest Family Album: about 10,000 images of everyday life.
- International Harvester: more than 900 glass negatives, around 60,000 film negatives and prints, over 200 albums and about 40 scrapbooks relating to the manufacture and sales of agricultural equipment, motor trucks and construction equipment.
- Vickers Ruwolt: over 1,000 glass plate negatives documenting one of Australia's major heavy engineering firms, 1920s-1960s.
- A.J. Campbell: more than 2500 photographs and negatives by the noted Australian ornithologist and field naturalist.
- Laurie Richards: 85,000 negatives documenting corporate and retail life, 1950s-1970s.
- State Electricity Commission of Victoria: over 3500 negatives and 1,000 photographs documenting the power industry, 1870s-1980s.
- Jim Payens Aerial Photography: several thousand negatives and one of the aerial cameras used by Jim Payens to take them. They document Victoria's development from the air, with a focus on industry, during the 1950s to the early 1970s.
- Science Museum of Victoria: over 10,000 negatives depicting collection objects, events, exhibitions, visitors and staff.
- Spotswood Pumping Station: 300 photographs.
- Francis: internationally significant pre-cinema and cinema images and technologies, from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- William S Anderson: over 1,000 images of Lorne and Great Ocean Road, and his camera, 1898-1940.
- Kodak No. 1 camera (1888) and artefacts reflecting the evolution of Kodak camera innovation.
- Sutton panoramic camera and wet plate curved glass negatives taken with it in the mid 19th century by Richard Daintree, a pioneer of Australian fieldwork photography.
- Gernsheim Collection
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 571 items
An instructional booklet or pocket guide titled 'All about Kodak Color Processing', aimed at consumers. This 14 page booklet was published by Eastman Kodak Company and used by Kodak Aus ...Images: 1
A fold-out brochure on Kodak Instant Camera servicing in the United States of America. This brochure was published by Eastman Kodak Company in1976 and kept by Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, ...Images: 1
A booklet advertising Kodak film and film processing, marketed as an instructional guide titled 'To Get the Best From Your 35mm Camera'. This was published by Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd ...Images: 1
A brochure advertising Kodak Instamatic Cameras (Kodamatic 960, 970 and 980) and Kodamatic film. This brochure was published by Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd in 1982. This item is part of ...Images: 1
Magazine clipping featuring an image the Kodak Super 8 Movie Cartridge with sound, released in 1974. It says 'Exposed' on the film. On the reverse of this image is a photograph of a wom ...Images: 2
Envelope had been used for storing negatives of images taken of the Great Ocean Road. There is an image attached to the front of the envelope which depicts the mouth of the St George Ri ...Images: 1
Framed certificate presented by the National Print Awards to Kodak Polychrome Graphics in appreciation of their sponsorship. The certificate was signed by the Chairman of the National P ...Images: 1
Book featuring an address by Dr Charles Edward Kenneth Mees about his life's work in photographic research and his career with the Kodak Research Laboratory at the Eastman Kodak Company ...Images: 1
Manuscript written by Margaret D Gauntlett, titled 'A History of Kodak Limited', issued by Kodak Limited in Harrow, England, 1978. This manuscript was circulated around the staff at Ko ...Images: 1
Booklet produced by the Eastman Kodak Company, in Rochester, New York, United States of America, 1967. It outlines some of the highlights in the history of the company, such as people ...Images: 1