Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 4851 items
Brochure 'Day Tours Around Sydney', published by Pioneer Tours, 1949. In 1904 Albert Arthur Withers, came to Melbourne with dreams of providing the public with a spin in a motor car. He ...Images: 1
Brochure 'In & About Geelong', issued by the Victorian Government Tourist Bureau in the 1950s.Images: 2
Tourist brochure 'Blue Mountains Resorts' issued by the Katoomba Council in about 1950.Images: 1
Tourist brochure 'Adelaide's Beaches' issued by the South Australian Government Publicity & Tourist Bureau circa 1950Images: 2
Tourist brochure 'The Only Real Way to See NSW, By Pioneer'. Issued by Pioneer Tours, 1949. In 1904 Albert Arthur Withers, came to Melbourne with dreams of providing the public with a ...Images: 2
Tourist brochure 'The Story of the Golden Mile' issued by the West Australian Government Tourist Bureau in 1947. The Golden Mile refers to an area within the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Gold Fie ...Images: 2
Tourist brochure titled 'Days of Delight Round Sydney with Aussie Tours', issued by Aussie Tours circa 1950s.Images: 2
Tourist guide booklet 'Visitor's Guide to Melbourne' issued by the Victorian Government Tourist Bureau in about 1912.Images: 1
34 page magazine published 11 July, 1964. Front cover features black-and-white photograph of players in action. Back cover features advertisement for 3UZ radio station. Contents inclu ...Images: 1
Booklet 'The First Twenty Five Years' published by the Melbourne Soccer Club, printed by Southdown Press in 1982. The Melbourne Soccer Club, also known as the Melbourne Hungaria Soccer ...Images: 3