Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 4301 - 4310) 4852 items
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...Images: 1
Australia Victoria Victorian Rifle Association Prize pre 1893 (AD) Mint: Stokes & Martin Awarded to: Not engraved Other Details: Victorian Rifle Association bronze prize medal, manufact ...Images: 2
A young woman seated at the base of a tree. There are ferns in the foreground. (This image is similar to that at MM 20564 although the woman is different).Images: 1
Australia Victoria Medal - Victorian Rifle Association Prize 1891 (AD) Mint: not recorded Awarded to: Lancaster, A. Other Details: This Victorian Rifle Association silver prize medal wa ...Images: 2
Australia Victoria Victorian Rifle Association Married Versus Singles Prize pre 1900 (AD) Mint: W.J.Taylor, London Awarded to: Turner, (Private) Other Details: Victorian Rifle Associati ...From: Bendigo, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria Long Service - Victorian Rifle Association pre 1893 (AD) Mint: Stokes & Martin ? Other Details: Victorian Rifle Association gilt medal issued before 1903. It has not ...Images: 2
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaImages: 1