Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 17 items
Disc recording:(10 in) Columbia: "The Sacred Hour" Part 1 & 2, Albert W. Ketelbey's Concert Orchestra. Technology: lateral cut.Images: 2
Disc recording (10 in.): Side A: 'Mit dem Zippel, Mit dem Zappel, Mit dem Zeppelin' Side B: 'Berlin, Berlin, Trotz alle deine Fehler lieb' ick dir mehr wie jede andre Stadt' Tedchnolog ...Images: 3
12-inch, 33 1/3 rpm vinyl disc. Issued by the White & Gillespie Distributing Co., catalogue no. WG-45/TVS/5673. Double sided with blue label. This is the last issued recording of Bill M ...Images: 1
Phonograph cylinder, "Edison Gold Moulded Records" brand. Recording of "Blondy And Johnny". Last patented November 18, 1902.Images: 1
Phonograph cylinder, "Edison Gold Moulded Records" brand. Recording of "Comin' Thro' The Rye". Last patented May 23, 1905.Images: 1
Little Wonder recording of 'Where the River Shannon flows', the artist is unknown. The disc is a single sided 5½ inch shellac lateral cut engraving, manufactured by the Little Wonder Co ...Images: 1
Grammophon recording of 'Aller Anfang ist Schwer'', the artist is unknown. This may be a nursery rhyme; the first commercial recordings were nursery rhymes. The disc is a single sided 5 ...Images: 1
Little Wonder recording of 'Midnight Fire Alarm', played by the Galop Band. The disc is a single sided 5½ inch shellac lateral cut engraving, manufactured by the Little Wonder company.Images: 1
Grammophon recording of 'Ich bin ein Preusse', the artist is unknown. This may be a nursery rhyme; the first commercial recordings were nursery rhymes. The disc is a single sided 5 inch ...Images: 1
Disc recording: Decca 10 in. "Gypsy Scene" and "Hungarian Scene" played by Harry Horlick and his Orchestra. Double sided. Cat. no. Y5311. Technology: lateral cut. Classification: Ethni ...Images: 2