Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 620 items
Tourist guidebook, 'Where to Stay in South Australia', issued by the South Australian Government Publicity & Tourist Bureau in 1947.Images: 1
Programme for the Australian Flying Corps. Boxing Championship, held at the subscription rooms, Stroud, England, 27 & 28 September, 1918, at 8:30pm. Small light brown coloured booklet, ...Images: 1
Newspaper cutting, from The Daily Telegraph newspaper, depicts the fate of Phar Lap's dam Entreaty and Sire Night Raid around the time of his death. It is part of a group collected by t ...Images: 1
This newspaper cutting, from the Sunday Sun newspaper, contains the first part of an article about Phar Lap's death, particularly a theory about it by horse racing journalist `Cardigan' ...Images: 1
Programme for the Red Sea Meeting held on the RMS Otranto on 15 June 1954. This program was published by the Orient Line, it contains the rules for the race and tote. It was used by Geo ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Programme for the Red Sea Meeting held on the RMS Ormonde on 29 December 1948. This program was published by the Orient Line, it contains the rules for the race and tote. It was used by ...Images: 0
Diary written by David Yuile who came to Victoria via New Zealand from Scotland on 21 September 1872, for his health. The diary contains daily entries which describe his departure, voya ...Images: 7
Folded programme for a 'Race Meeting' to be held on the Sports Deck of S. S. Southern Cross, on Saturday 11 May 1957 at 8.15pm. It is part of a collection of 175 items of post-war ship ...Images: 4
Folded programme for a 'Indian Ocean Race Meeting' to be held on the Sports Deck of S. S. Southern Cross, on Sunday 4 October 1958 at 8.15pm. It is part of a collection of 175 items of ...Images: 4
Single sided leaflet containing information about on-board sports and entertainments. It was issued by Shaw Savill Lines on the SS Southern Cross in September 1958. It is part of a coll ...Images: 1