Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 31 - 40) 473 items
Tourist guide to country hotels & guest houses with index and advertisements. Issued by the Victorian Government Tourist Bureau in 1941. Published by the Victorian Railways Advertising ...Images: 1
Programme for the Red Sea Meeting held on the RMS Otranto on 15 June 1954. This program was published by the Orient Line, it contains the rules for the race and tote. It was used by Geo ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Programme for the Red Sea Meeting held on the RMS Ormonde on 29 December 1948. This program was published by the Orient Line, it contains the rules for the race and tote. It was used by ...Images: 0
Single sided leaflet containing information about on-board sports and entertainments. It was issued by Shaw Savill Lines on the SS Southern Cross in September 1958. It is part of a coll ...Images: 1
Single sided leaflet containing information about on-board entertainments. It was issued by Shaw Savill Lines on the SS Southern Cross in October 1958. It is part of a collection of 175 ...Images: 1
Reserved seat pass for the for St Kilda Football Club, 1972 football season of the Victorian Football League. St Kilda finished 4th in the season and qualified for the finals series, th ...Images: 2
This twelve page 1993 wall calendar was designed and produced in Melbourne, and depicts 20th Century Australian sporting personalities. The page for November includes a photograph of a ...Images: 1
Booklet titled 'Facts about Sport in Australia' published by the Australian News and Information Bureau, Australia House, London, 1956. It was given to Ron and Joan Booth as part of a c ...Images: 3
Copy of The Australian Sketcher, 17 June 1882, consisting of twelve pages from pp. 177-92, published by Wilson & MacKinnon, Melbourne. Page 188 consists of two black & white illustratio ...Images: 2
Tourist Brochure titled 'Albany, Western Australia'. Issued by the West Australian Government Tourist Bureau, 1949.Images: 2