Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 61 - 70) 618 items
Offical program for the 1930 Melbourne Cup, part of the Victorian Racing Club's Spring Meeting. The program includes Phar Lap running in the Melbourne Cup at 3:30pm, which he won by thr ...Images: 3
Poster advertising the United Building Trades Picnic to celebrate the jubilee of the Eight Hour Day movement. The picnic was held at Mornington on 24 March, 1906. Guests were transporte ...Images: 1
Embossed colour postcard featuring RMS Lusitania on the water, dated 8 March 1910. The RMS Lusitania was a British Ocean Liner that was operated by the Cunard Line between Liverpool a ...Images: 2
Postcard featuring a colour illustration of a drover and a herd of sheep next to a creek that appears to have overflown its banks. The postcard is addressed to an F.M. Marcard in South ...Images: 2
Souvenir booklet for the 1898 Austral Wheel Race representing one of the major sporting and cultural events in Melbourne in the late nineteenth century. The Austral Wheel Race was firs ...Images: 3
Large souvenir theatre programme issued by J.C. Williamson Ltd for the 'Grand Opera Season', starring Dame Nellie Melba at His Majesty's Theatre in Melbourne from 29 March to 19 June, 1 ...Images: 2
Programme for various races held at the Eight Hours' Anniversary Sports at the Eastern Oval in Ballarat on 21 April 1894. The sporting event was organised to celebrate the Eight Hour Da ...Images: 3
Souvenir tourist booklet containing black and white photographs of Melbourne, and a street, railway and tram map of the city, circa 1929. The booklet states that it is a 'Souvenir of ...Images: 3
Booklet containing black and white photographs of Melbourne, and a map of the central city, circa 1921. The booklet states that it contains 'the latest views of principal streets buil ...Images: 34
Alternative Name(s): Official Pass Official pass issued during the Toowoomba Labour Day celebrations in 1948-1949. The ticket is printed for 1948 but has been rubber stamped for 1949. ...Images: 2