Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 21 - 30) 2836 items
Black and white photograph of Leo Sterne painting lips on one doll with a further five dolls manufactured by the L. J. Sterne Doll Company in the background. This photograph relates to ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of three 'Gerry Gee Junior' Dolls in different outfits and a 'Geraldine' Doll. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Com ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of Leo Sterne holding a Gerry Gee Doll in front of a display of Gerry Gee Junior merchandise, Melbourne 31 Oct 1958. This photograph relates to products and ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of the interior of a Michaelis, Hallenstein & Co. Trade Stall. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Company (1939-1971) ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of a product display of The New Gerry Gee Junior Family by the L. J. Sterne Doll Company, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia circa 1965. This photograph relates ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of a product display of Gerry Gee Junior Dolls inlcuding a Footy Fan Gerry and Geraldine Gee by the L. J. Sterne Doll Company, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph printed on a postcard. Group of people swimming in the ocean most likely in Europe (possibly Austria). This photograph relates to the lives of Leo and Hilda ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of Leo and Hilda Sterne, possibly with Hilda's sisters, among a group of people on the deck of the MS San Marco, off the coast of Italy, 24 November 1928. Th ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of Leo Sterne and friend in fancy dress. This photograph relates to the lives of Leo and Hilda Sterne prior to their migration to Australia from Linz, Austri ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph showing Leo and Hilda Sterne sitting in a cart drawn by two goats in Austria circa 1930. This photograph relates to the lives of Leo and Hilda Sterne prior t ...Images: 1