Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 31 - 40) 2836 items
Black and white copy negative depicting the 1931 horse sales, held annually in Trentham, New Zealand. It was from the 1928 sales that Harry Telford purchased Phar Lap. It belonged to t ...Images: 1
Image taken at the 2003 Yarram Women on Farms Gathering during a singing workshop. Participants of this workshop learnt a selection of songs that were later performed on stage during th ...Images: 1
Image taken at the 2003 Yarram Women on Farms Gathering during a massage workshop.Images: 1
Photograph taken at the 2000 Yarra Valley (Healesville) Gathering. This photograph depicts attendees enjoying themselves at the Saturday night celebratory dinner, which was held at De B ...Images: 1
Digital photograph of Adelaide from Montefiore Hill (Col. Light's Hill) visited by the Ward family,12 December 1961, on their stop at Adelaide during their voyage from England. One of 8 ...Images: 1
Digital photograph of James and Mary Ward enjoying the sunshine sitting in deckchairs on the deck of the 'TSS Stratheden'. One of 84 digital photographs relating to the Ward family migr ...Images: 1
Three female Japanese athletes posing in uniform at the Olympic Village at Heidelberg during the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games. A notation on the slide frame identifies them as divers. ...Images: 1
A row of national flags alongside the Royal St Kilda Yacht Club during the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games. The Club was the headquarters for sailing events during the games, which were he ...Images: 1
A female athlete resting at an unknown venue during the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games. The yellow jumper with three blue crowns on the front identifies her as a member of the Swedish Oly ...Images: 1
Digital photograph of Perth city from King's Park, taken on 8 December 1961 during the Ward family's visit to Perth during their voyage from England. One of 84 digital photographs relat ...Images: 1